Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Chris Hayes to host MSNBC primetime show


Chris Hayes
(MSNBC ANCHORS — Pictured: Chris Hayes, MSNBC Contributor — Photo by: Virginia Sherwood/MSNBC)

Chris Hayes will host the 8 pm hour on MSNBC weekdays beginning April 1, the company said Thursday. Hayes has hosted a weekend morning program for MSNBC, Up with Chris Hayes, since 2011.

“Chris has done an amazing job creating a franchise on weekend mornings,” said Phil Griffin, MSNBC president. ”He’s an extraordinary talent and has made a strong connection with our audience. This is an exciting time for MSNBC.”

Hayes regularly contributed to MSNBC’s 2012 presidential election last year and served as a guest host for other primetime shows, such as The Rachel Maddow Show and The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell.

“I am thrilled to be joining Rachel and Lawrence in primetime,” said Hayes.  “I’ve absolutely loved hosting Up on the weekends and I’m looking forward to thinking through the news five nights a week.”

He takes over the slot previously held by Ed Schultz who will move to weekend evenings.

Hayes is author of Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy.

AnaBanana-1782128 commented

Welcome to 8pm. I'm a big fan of Ed's but also yours. Only one suggestion. Please slow down when you comment. You speak too fast. You can learn something from Al Sharpton. Though some consider him too slow, middle aged people like me, prefer that over quick speak. I look forward to watching you just before my fave, Rachael Maddow. 

Gerri Williams replied

I agree. Slow down when you talk Chris. I can't take an hour of his hands flying in the air as he rushes through every sentence. Hope he cleans up and washes his hair. I don't understand why they would put a kid in this spot. MSNBC has some great females that would have been a better fit. I will watch Ed on the weekends but I will have to pass on Chris. Maybe when he grows up and slows down we will try his show. Good luck to all. 

Nick-2302584 replied

What msnbc and Chris Hayes don't understand is that Hayes' body language and speech patterns do not lend themselves to a position of moderator. I think the bosses have  not recognized Hayes's potential as a commentor is held back by his constant jagged interruptions and overbearing and obtrusive personality. He like many commentors on the right and left feel the need to constantly project themselves in a way that mimics children asking for attention. After 15 minutes of listening to him I'm worn out. I watched him plug his book on cspan and found his delivery so self absorbed, he lost me as an interested viewer. Of course, I don't expect either the station or Hayes to evaluate his hectic presentation. Good luck, viewers. 

NMCLD replied

I'm looking forward to Chris having more time on MSNBC. He is very intelligent, thoughtful, thorough in his research and approach, fair and attentive when running his panel during his show, and I love the hair!
We need more positive, ethical, and enlightened individuals in journalism, more progressive voices of all ages.  And not only is his young age refreshing, but the fact that he never runs anyone down and strongly discourages those on his panel from doing so either brings us right back to the professional days of old journalism, when professionalism, accuracy, thoughtfulness, and class were the mainstays.
But unlike the old days, Chris' enthusiastic personality is allowed to shine through - which adds to his deliverance of news. No more staunchy, stuffy, robotosized, monotoned deliverance of news.
Congrats Chris on your weekday stand - looking forward to seeing more of your humour, sound judgement, and wit. 

Salsagrapher replied

In reply to: AnaBanana-1782128 #1 ever since Chris's first show I've been watching and learning. Glass- Steagall, and so many in depth discussions no other tv program has the time to cover... Good to hear UP will continue... Love Rachel, Ed, Lawrence, Rev.
Al & Chris. & Chris M. At last progressives have a strong Voice now, vs the days when you only heard politics from Rush, Hannity and the likes, or hates:)

JohnMesserly replied

OMFG you are missing a lot- not just snappy dialog if you don't have a DVR.  It's not just to catch the term the person used.  Personally, I more often use it to skip when guests slip into talking points I can recite beter than they can.
Telling Hayes & company to slow down is like telling Bogart and Bacall to slow down.  If anything, I would want to have Alexis speak faster and minus the simplified language on Friday's Rachel Maddow show.  It's better when if you have a show that raises the bar for its viewers, rather than lowers it in a race to the bottom of intellectual standards.
Sorry, I am not a big fan of grading on the curve either.  

woodrat replied

I agree with JohnMesserly--Chris Hayes' show UP is my very favorite on MSNBC precisely *because* of Chris' style and intelligence. I actually learn things from the discussions on UP because they are more intellectually fast-paced than the other shows like Rachel's and because the range of views of the guests makes for some fascinating discussions. I get so bored hearing every single show repeat the same news stories in a superficial manner. For those of you who find him obnoxious, watch someone else who is more your style. I love the show just the way it is and wouldn't change a thing in the way Chris hosts it.

No comments:

Post a Comment