Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012



When speaking to 60 Minutes, Governor Romney pushed the right-wing myth that available emergency services is the same as having health care for all. I've posted the clip below. Note that, not only is what he is saying total garbage, but look how angry he is as he says it.
Let me just say, Mitt Romney is wrong. While it is nice to know that if you have a heart attack someone will be required to treat you, it would be better to know that you could prevent the heart attack from happening in the first place. Beyond that, emergency care does not provide any benefit for chronic conditions.
(please follow me below to wrestling amber cobras)
Six months ago I posted about my own chronic condition PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). It's a hormonal condition characterized by cystic ovaries, hence the name. Emergency rooms do not treat chronic conditions. They will turn you away if it is not life threatening. I know, I have been turned away.
Planned Parenthood could potentially offer help to some individuals with my condition, in the form of prescriptions for medications to help control it. That doesn't help with the cost of the medications. It also doesn't help if the medications aren't enough.
In my case, I have a very large cyst on my left ovary that has been growing larger for over a year. Treatment with birth control did not help, and, in fact, caused even more problems. What I require is surgical intervention.
Earlier this month my cyst ruptured. I felt it rupture and spent the next week in significant pain. A ruptured cyst may sound serious to most people, but, unless it gets infected, it is not life threatening. All the ER will do is send you home with an order to take some Motrin and wait it out.
The only way an ER will treat my cyst is in the case of full ovarian torsion. This is when the cyst gets so heavy that it causes the ovary to twist, blocking blood flow. When this happens, the ovary begins to die and usually must be removed. I lost my right ovary that way already. It's extremely painful. The most painful thing I have ever experienced. From what I hear, worse than childbirth.
So, Mr. Romney, the ER is of no use to me until my life is in jeopardy. By that point, any hope I have of maintaining my fertility is also gone. I'm sure this is of no concern to you. After all, wouldn't the world be a much cleaner place if no one like me could breed? Geez, that would probably fit perfectly into your permanent solution.
And, while it may not be immediately life threatening, when uncontrolled, it is likely life shortening for many woman. In fact, not only are women like me more likely to develop heart disease and diabetes, we are 7 times more likely to commit suicide. Though, once again, I'm sure that would make it a lot easier for you.
And, Mr. Romney, PCOS also causes hormonal mood swings, so I am sure you will understand that it is merely the disease speaking when I tell you to go fuck yourself.
Sun Sep 23, 2012 at 11:33 PM PT: WFBMM was the first to diary about what Romney said about ERs providing sufficient health care. His Her diary is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment