Flint native Michael Moore calls for gun control in light of Connecticut school shooting
updated December 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM
A gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., killed 26 people -- including 18 children, according to the Associated Press.
A law enforcement official in Washington said the attacker was a 20-year-old man with ties to the school and that one of the guns was a .223-caliber rifle, the Associated Press is reporting. Officials believe two guns were used.
Moore has posted multiple Tweets in the past hour on the subject:
- "Only minutes away from pundits & politicians say, 'This isn't the time to talk about gun control.' Really? When is that moment?"
- "The way to honor these dead children is to demand strict gun control, free mental health care and an end to violence as public policy."
- "Too soon to speak out about a gun-crazy nation? No, too late. At least THIRTY-ONE school shootings since Columbine."
- "Just 18 hrs ago, those Republicans in the Michigan House rammed thru a bill making it LEGAL to carry a gun into a school or day care center."
- "Only one policy has ever been shown to deter mass murder: concealed-carry laws"