Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012


Robin Roberts tells sister, ‘You gave me life’ following bone marrow treatment

By Arturo Garcia
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 15:59 EST




Good Morning America co-host Robin Roberts shared the details of her cancer treatment with her sister, a fellow news anchor who donated marrow of her own to aid in her recovery, telling her, “You gave me life.”

Roberts spoke to her sister, WWL-TV news anchor Sally Ann Roberts, following the completion of 100 days of recovery following bone marrow treatment.

The interview took place following a hospital visit Robin Roberts described as “just a little tune-up, check under the hood, kick the tires a little bit.” She said the process wasn’t a straight line, but something that zigged and zagged. Regardless, she was optimistic.

“There’s complications and things like that, but I feel good,” the former ESPN anchor said. “I feel stronger every day. I’m blessed.”

Sally Ann Roberts donated cells from her marrow to her sister in a transplant procedure in June, after doctors discovered the two were perfect genetic matches. Since then, Robin Roberts, who was diagnosed with a condition known as myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) has stayed out of the public eye for the sake of avoiding infection.

Robin Roberts described the procedure as a new beginning.

“It’s like, you gave me life,” she told her sister. “Our dear mother gave me life, you gave me life. And I look at it as a clean slate. How many people can say, at this point in their lives, that they get a do-over?”

Watch the Roberts sister’s interview, posted on YouTube Tuesday by “lesnewsvids,” below.





No comments:

Post a Comment