CUT, CAP, AND BALANCE: A Fiscal Year 2013 BudgetRSC Chairman Jim Jordan, RSC Budget & Spending Taskforce Chairman Scott Garrett, and the entire RSC Budget and Spending Taskforce have introduced “Cut, Cap, and Balance: A Fiscal Year 2013 Budget” (H.Con.Res. 113).
The RSC’s FY 2013 budget proposal balances the budget in 5 years.
Rsc Budget Cut Cap and Balance--long Doc--final
- Cuts discretionary spending to $931 billion (slightly below the 2008 levels approved by Nancy Pelosi), and freezes it until the budget balances in 2017. Defense spending is the same as the House Budget Committee proposal. Non-defense shrinks from $377 billion in FY 2013 to $329 billion in FY 2022.
- Protects defense from sequestration by switching the scheduled cuts to non-defense discretionary this year and going forward.
- Creates a simpler, flatter, and fairer tax code as proposed in the RSC’s Jobs Through Growth Act.
- Extends federal funding for Medicaid & CHIP at current FY 2012 levels and gives states the tools they need to design and improve their own programs, as proposed in the RSC’s State Health Flexibility Act.
- Budgets responsibly for federal welfare programs by returning spending for these programs to pre-recession levels once unemployment drops to 6.5%, as proposed in the RSC’s Welfare Reform Act.
Specifically, this proposal…
- Transitions Medicare to a solvent premium-support system, as proposed by the House Budget Committee. This plan provides Medicare enrollees a greater menu of choices including staying with the current system, harnessing the power of competition among private insurance plans and improving the quality of care.
- Gradually realigns the Social Security eligibility age with Americans’ increasing longevity. The threshold for eligibility would increase by 2 months per year, beginning with people born in 1958 and after.
The Budget (above), Two-Page Summary, Budget Presentation, Legislative Text
What They're Saying:
Reps. Garrett and Jordan Op-ed: Conservatives' Budget Will Stop Borrowing from Our Children
The Hill: Conservatives Unveil Budget Plan Cutting $7.5T Over Next Decade
Roll Call: Conservatives Add Own Budget to the Mix
The Daily Caller: House Republican Study Committee: We can balance budget in 5 years
Newsmax: Rep. Jim Jordan: Obama Budget 'Immoral, Unfair'
Dan Mitchell from The Cato Institute: New Budget from Republican Study Committee Reduces Burden of Government to Where It Was When Bill Clinton Left Office
Rick Manning from Americans for Limited Government: Freshman Mulvaney’s Attempt to Bring Fiscal Sanity to DC
Patrick Louis Knudsen from The Heritage Foundation: The RSC Budget: A Preliminary Look
Mike Brownfield from The Heritage Foundation: Another Vision to Solve the Budget Crisis
Veronique de Rugy at National Review Online: The RSC Budget
Jim Antle at The American Spectator: Ryan's Right Flank
Daniel Horowitz at RedState: RSC Budget: Cut, Cap, and Balance is Back – And Here to Stay
Ed Morrissey at HotAir: House conservatives to unveil alternate budget
Bridget Johnson at PJ Media: Conservative Caucus: We Can Balance Budget in Five Years
Susan A. Carleson at Townhall: A Budget America Can't Live Without
Letter of Support:
Council for Citizens Against Government Waste: Letter of Support
American Family Business Institute: Letter of Support
FreedomWorks: Letter of Support
Let Freedom Ring: Letter of Support
National Taxpayers Union: Letter of Support
Concerned Women for America Legislative Action Committee: Letter of Support
Americans for Limited Government: Letter of Support
Americans for Tax Reform: Letter of Support
Americans for Prosperity: Letter of Support
The Carleson Center for Public Policy: Letter of Support
The Club for Growth: Letter of Support
Coalitions for America: Letter of Support
60 Plus Association: Letter of Support
Tea Party Express: Letter of Support
National Tax-Limitation Committee: Letter of Support
Tradition, Family & Property: Letter of Support
Freedom Action: Letter of Support
Council for America: Letter of Support
Americans for Sovereignty: Letter of Support
Capitol Hill Prayer Alert: Letter of Support
Christian Coalition of America: Letter of Support
Republican National Policy Committee: Letter of Support
The Mommy Lobby: Letter of Support
ANCIR: Letter of Support
Less Government: Letter of Support
The Heartland Institute: Letter of Support
Liberty Counsel: Letter of Support
Liberty Counsel Action: Letter of Support
Liberty Center for Law and Policy: Letter of Support
Maryland Center-Right Coalition: Letter of Support
American Council for Immigration Reform: Letter of Support
Family PAC Federal: Letter of Support
Patriotic Veterans: Letter of Support