Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Limbaugh apologizes to student he called 'slut' for 'insulting word choices'



20
hours
ago


Rush Limbaugh apologizes to Sandra Fluke for calling her a "slut" on his radio show, a remark that ignited a firestorm of comments and cost him advertising sponsors. NBC's Lester Holt and David Gregory report on the day's political news.
Several days after criticizing a Georgetown student who advocated for the availability of birth control and calling her a "slut," conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh issued an apology to Sandra Fluke on his website, saying "in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir. I sincerely apologize."
Limbaugh sparked outcry that crossed political lines on Friday when he mocked the fact that Fluke, who advocated for the availability of contraception at a recent hearing before congressional Democrats, received a phone call from President Barack Obama arguing, she should "disconnect the phone. I'd go into hiding and hope the media didn't find me."
Limbaugh also denied he was opposed to birth control, according to a transcript of his show. “This is about expanding the reach and power of government into your womb, if you're a woman. This is about the Democrat Party wanting more and more control over you.  What was early feminism all about? Emancipation, individuality, freedom, liberation, all of these things. Now here comes Danica Patrick out and she says, 'I'm perfectly comfortable letting the government make my health decisions for me.' Well, folks, I'm gonna tell you: Right there, that's the death and the end of feminism.”
The furor was sparked by Limbaugh's comments on Wednesday, when he branded Fluke a "slut" for her support of the administration's new policy on contraception. The radio show host repeated the charges on Thursday, saying: "Well, what would you call someone who wants us to pay for her to have sex? What would you call that woman? You'd call 'em a slut, a prostitute or whatever."
In his statement on his website on Saturday, Limbaugh said, "For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week.  In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke."
Despite furor, Limbaugh refuses to back down
He went on to add, however, "I think it is absolutely absurd that during these very serious political times, we are discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress. I personally do not agree that American citizens should pay for these social activities. What happened to personal responsibility and accountability? Where do we draw the line?"
He continued, "In my monologue, I posited that it is not our business whatsoever to know what is going on in anyone's bedroom nor do I think it is a topic that should reach a Presidential level."
But the brief statement concluded apologetically: "My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir. I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment